Looking for soldiers that served prior to WW1? Find My Past is the best resource for finding information about Victorian-era Soldiers.
By far the best resource for WW1 research. WW1 Service Records, pension papers, medal index cards and casualty information.
Search through millions of archived British Newspaper Articles to find any references to your ancestors.

Harold Greenhalgh was born to Lawrence and Sarah Frances Greenhalgh (née Ashton) on 28 March 1895 at 199 Darwen Road. They later moved to 26 Egerton Vale, and then again to 26 Edward Street where they are enumerated on the 1911 census. They moved again to number 2 Dimple, Egerton.

This kind of constant removal, or “flitting” as it was known, was not uncommon in those days following the introduction of mass production when families literally ‘chased the cotton’ as new mills opened up.

Harold attended school in Walmsley before going to work as a dyer at Bridson’s bleachworks on Chorley Street, Bolton.

The 6th Battalion, LNL, was stood-up on 8th August 1914 and Harold signed on sometime between then and October 1914 when he is shown as a batman to Lieutenant Grimshaw at Tidworth Barracks, Salisbury plain, where initial training began.

Private Harold Greenhalgh

Private Harold Greenhalgh

From Tidworth the battalion moved to Blackdown near Aldershot, and on 14 June 1915 the whole of the 13th division (as well as the 10th and 11th) got the train at Farnborough station to go to Avonmouth where they were supposed to board the SS Japanese Prince. They were re-routed to SS Braemar Castle instead and eventually sailed on 17 June bound for Malta.

Their next port of call was Alexandria in Egypt for more training and acclimatisation – this is where Harold was instructed in how to use a machine gun.

Mudros is the major port on the island of Lemnos and lies some 50 kilometres (30 miles) from the landing beaches of Gallipoli. It is here that the divisions rested and trained whilst waiting for the call for invasion.

The invasion of the Gallipoli peninsula was an entirely sea-borne operation. It has to be remembered that during that time no purpose-built landing ships existed. The main transport for men, mules, horses, artillery and all supplies was by barges towed by launches steered by 16-year old Royal Navy midshipmen, and by a variety of whatever craft was available. The hastily converted collier, SS River Clyde, having famously run herself ashore on V Beach in a one-off landing feat, remained stuck for the rest of the campaign.

V Beach

Landing on V beach – Click on image for larger version

During the night of 6 July 1915 the 6th LNLs were put ashore by lighter at Seghir Dere in Gully Ravine, where they went into bivouac.

W Beach

Encampment on W beach – Click on image For larger version

General Hamilton’s immediate battle plans were severely handicapped by the fact that he was greatly under strength. His original force, landed on 25 April, had suffered heavy casualties and, with some divisions not yet arrived, it is doubtful that he had more than a mere 110,000 men for the operation. This was to reinforce the Australians and New Zealanders at Anzac, to effect a landing at Suvla Bay and from there to attempt the capture of the main peak of Sari Bair, thus overlooking and commanding the narrows of the Dardanelles. The 6th Battalion LNL was sent forward immediately into the front line, relieving troops of the 29th Division.

The 6th Battalion LNL returned to Anzac Cove on 4 August and occupied bivouac billets in Victoria Gully where, as a result of enemy shelling, two men were killed and a further 32 were injured.

On the night of 6 August two battalions of the 13th Division, of which the LNL was one, commenced their advance from Anzac. On the following morning the 6th LNL was marched to the foot of the Chailuk Dere, and on the night of the next day it was sent to the Apex as reinforcement to the New Zealand Brigade.

On 9 August three columns were sent forward to complete the conquest of Chunuk Bair. During that night the worn out New Zealanders were relieved and the 6th Battalion LNL and the 5th Wiltshires took their places in inadequately shallow trenches.

The 6th Battalion LNL arrived first and set about trying to improve the poor shelter. The Turks realised that if the summit of Chunuk Bair was held, the outcome would be a massive Allied advantage. They therefore shelled the ridge at dawn on 9 and 10 August and then let loose a horde of infantry soldiers with fixed bayonets. Both the Wiltshires and the Lancashire boys had no chance – caught in the open they were swiftly and mercilessly overwhelmed by sheer weight of numbers. The battalions did all they could, Captain Mather’s company (6th Battalion LNL) doing especially well charging 3 times with the bayonet.

The official despatch states: “The two battalions of the New Army chosen to hold Chunuk Bair were the 6th Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and the 5th Wiltshire Regiment. They were simply overwhelmed by a superior and determined foe.”

General Sir Ian Hamilton later wrote: “Generals fought in the ranks, and men dropped their scientific weapons and caught one another by the throat. So desperate a fight cannot be described. The Turks came on again and again, fighting magnificently and calling on the name of Allah. Our men stood to it and maintained, by many a deed of daring, the old traditions of their race. There was no flinching. They died in the ranks where they stood.”

It is interesting to note that the commander of the Turkish divisions in this battle was none other than Mustafa Kemal, later Kemal Atatürk, father of a new Turkish nation. At a later stage in the battle of Chunuk Bair he is reputed to have halted the shooting saying, “We have killed enough. Shoot over their heads to keep them occupied.” Unfortunately the continued firing set the gorse and bracken alight, resulting in many of the Lancashire and Wiltshire men being burned to death.

Some 450 men were lost at Chunuk Bair, most of whom have no known grave, but are remembered on the Helles Memorial. Private Harold Greenhalgh from Bolton Lancashire is one of them.

W Beach

Collecting the kits of the dead and wounded on W Beach – Click on image For larger version

Big guns leaving Suvla Bay

“Big British guns leaving Suvla Bay, in broad daylight on a raft. They are being towed full speed out to sea by a naval pinnace, to be picked up by a transport.”

The Bolton Journal and Guardian of 17 September 1915 published the following announcement about Harold who was initially recorded as missing;

More 6th Lancashire Losses after Suvla Bay Landing
The eldest of the two soldier sons of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Greenhalgh, 2, Dimple, is officially posted as missing. Private Harold Greenhalgh was a member of the machine gun section attached to the 6th Battalion L.N.L. Regiment, and participated in the gallant charge of the battalion on August 9th. He was a fine soldier and at Tidworth was singled out for valet duties by Lieut. Grimshaw. He was employed at Messrs. Bridson’s bleachworks, and formerly resided at Dunscar and Brookbank, Harwood. His brother, Private George Ashton Greenhalgh, is serving with the 9th battalion L.N.L. Regiment. The companion of Private Greenhalgh, Corporal Walker, of 34 Horrocks-st, Vallets, is also missing.

His name is on the Helles Memorial, and also the Dunscar War Memorial at home.

greenhalgh helles

Helles Memorial

Rank: Private
Service No: 11402
Date of Death: 09/08/1915
Regiment/Service: The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, 6th Bn.

Latest posts by DBBC (see all)
(This post has been visited 340 times in the last 90 days)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.
%d bloggers like this:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.