Looking for soldiers that served prior to WW1? Find My Past is the best resource for finding information about Victorian-era Soldiers.
By far the best resource for WW1 research. WW1 Service Records, pension papers, medal index cards and casualty information.
Search through millions of archived British Newspaper Articles to find any references to your ancestors.

johnbond-smJohn Bond was born in Adlington near Chorley in 1882. He was the son of Thomas James and Ellen Bond (nee Houghton).

John`s father Thomas was a native of Liverpool and his mother Ellen was from Euxton near Chorley. They married in Chorley in 1882. John had one sister Elizabeth Alice who was born in 1887 but she died aged 4 years in 1891.

In the 1901 Census John is with his parents at 4 Factory Lane, Adlington. He was working as a blacksmiths striker. There is also another young girl living with the Bond family, May Wilson aged 4 years old and she had been born in Preston.

By the time the 1911 Census had been taken, Thomas and Ellen had taken the family to live at 5 Church Avenue, off New Hall Lane, Preston. Son John is with them and also the young lady May Wilson who was now described as an ‘adopted daughter`. John was working as a labourer in a paper works and his father was also at the same place employed as an Engine tenter.

31May, 1913 John married Isabella Hall in the Central Methodist Church, Lune Street, Preston. In November the same year a son Thomas James was born.

On the 2 December, 1915 John attested at Preston and was put in the army reserve. According to his medical inspection John was 5`3” tall with a 37” chest and he weighed 9st 8lbs.

John finally embarked at Folkestone on 11 July, 1917 bound for France and was posted to the 1/4th Battalion joining them in the field on 4 August, 1917.

On the 20 September, 1917 he was admitted to 32 Casualty Clearing Station having sustained a gunshot wound to his left arm. He was sent back to Etaples to recover from his wound and then re-joined his battalion in the field on 12 November, 1917.

Just over two weeks later on 30 November, 1917 John was killed in action during the Battle of Cambrai. The following report appeared in the Preston Guardian a few weeks later.


Extract from the Battalion War Diary for the 30 November:

30th – November 7.40am “Stand to” order received from 166th Infantry Brigade. Intelligence Officer and scouts sent forward to reconnoitre.

9am – Our infantry and artillery observed retiring on our left in the direction of HEUDECOURT. Artillery reported they had abandoned guns in VILLERS GUISLAIN. Battalion HQ under R.S.M. sent forward to form line on north-east side of VAUCELLETTE FARM, where they immediately came under machine gun fire from the enemy advancing from VILLERS GUISLAIN.

A Company were ordered up on their left, and had to fight hard to reach their position: the enemy had already seized Chapel Crossing. All the Officers of this Company eventually became casualties.

B and D Companies were ordered to continue the line on the right of HQ on the east side of VAUCELLETTE FARM. All Companies were quickly in position: fire was opened and the enemy ceased to advance and took up a position on a line running from the BEET FACTORY to CHAPEL CROSSING. At the time there were no troops in position on our right or left flanks. This state of things prevailed until dusk, when the Canadian Mounted Brigade arrived.

11am – Orders were received from the 166th Infantry Brigade to clear enemy from VILLERS GUISLAIN. Battalion ordered to advance in extended order to clear enemy from VILLERS HILL. This they proceeded to do, led by Lieutenant Colonel R. Hindle D.S.O.

The men were firing from the hip as they advanced, and the foremost line of the enemy began to retire. The advance was successful until the centre of the line reached a point about 200 yards from the crest of the hill, when ammunition ran short. At this time fresh enemy troops advanced over the hill in considerable strength.

The Colonel was killed, and all three Company Commanders became casualties. The Adjutant took command of the Battalion and ordered a withdrawal to VAUCELLETTE FARM. This was carried out slowly, under covering fire from the left flank.

Total casualties were: Killed – Lieutenant Colonel R. Hindle D.S.O., Second Lieutenant J.H. Livesey, Captain R.N.L. Buckmaster. 7 other Officers were wounded. Other ranks: 11 were killed, 84 wounded and 15 missing.

John Bond was awarded the British War and Victory Medals and his name is remembered on the Cambrai Memorial, Louverval, Nord, France.

Rank: Private
Service No: 37599
Date of Death: 30/11/1917
Age: 34
Regiment/Service: The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, 1st/4th Bn.

This research was conducted by Janet Davis

Janet Davis
Latest posts by Janet Davis (see all)
(This post has been visited 252 times in the last 90 days)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.
%d bloggers like this:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.