Looking for soldiers that served prior to WW1? Find My Past is the best resource for finding information about Victorian-era Soldiers.
By far the best resource for WW1 research. WW1 Service Records, pension papers, medal index cards and casualty information.
Search through millions of archived British Newspaper Articles to find any references to your ancestors.

Edward Unsworth Green was born on 27 January 1880, the second son of Edward Unsworth and Annie Louisa Green. The family lived at 112 Church Road, Richmond, Surrey, the father a Wine Merchant.

The young Edward Unsworth was educated at Dulwich College and then became a Brewers Clerk with Whitbread Brewers living at the Dulwich College Mission, 7 Flodden Road, Camberwell. On the 18th January 1900 he was admitted as a Member of the Honourable Artillery Company (HAC). On 4 August 1914, aged 34, he was mobilised in Armoury House, Finsbury and on the 8th August 1914 was promoted Company Quarter Master Sergeant. On 18 September 1914 he went to France as part of the 1/1st Battalion H.A.C. Infantry where he took part in the battles of Rouge Croix and Croix Barbe. In June the 1/1st were in trenches in Zouave Wood and on 15 June took part in the attack on “Y” Wood where they suffered over 200 casualties. On 25 December 1915 he was commissioned to be Temporary 2nd Lieutenant in the 9th Battalion Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. On 3 July 1916 the 9th Battalion Loyal North Lancs., as part of 74th Brigade, 25th Division, took part in operations in the La Boiselle Sector, fighting around Bouzincourt, Senlis, Forceville and Mailly-Maillet. On 7 July Captain Edward Unsworth Green, while attacking from the Hessian Trench was twice wounded. First hit in the back of he head in the advance on La Boiselle, and later in the day hit by a ‘Shrapnel Gun Shot’ in the left knee – ‘Both clean wounds’. In recognition of his actions during the Somme Battle he was subsequently awarded the Military Cross. He was evacuated from Le Havre to Southampton on 12 July and, following hospital treatment, went on leave to Richmond. On 7 December 1916 a Medical Board pronounced, ‘He has recovered and fit for General Service’. He was posted to the 3rd Lincolnshire (Reserve) Battalion in Felixstowe where on the 7th January he had a second attack of influenza suffering from ‘Abdominal pains and vomiting’. On his recovery he rejoined the 9th Battalion Loyal North Lancashire and was killed in action on 10 August 1917, at the Battle of Westhoek. Having no known grave, his name is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.



Paul McCormick
Contact me
Latest posts by Paul McCormick (see all)
(This post has been visited 261 times in the last 90 days)
Tagged with:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.
%d bloggers like this:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.