Looking for soldiers that served prior to WW1? Find My Past is the best resource for finding information about Victorian-era Soldiers.
By far the best resource for WW1 research. WW1 Service Records, pension papers, medal index cards and casualty information.
Search through millions of archived British Newspaper Articles to find any references to your ancestors.

The birth of Edward Grey Faber was registered in Lewisham during the second quarter of 1874 although on census records thereafter Edward always recorded he had been born in Stockton on Tees. His mother was Edith Maria and his father, also named Edward Grey Faber, was a wine and spirit merchant also originally from Stockton on Tees, Durham. Edward was their eldest child and he had two brothers; Hamilton Stanley Faber and Ernest Waddington Faber.

By 1891 the family were living at 147 Auckland Road, Croydon and the boys were all in school. Edward’s entry in the 1898 Kelly’s directory has the address as 95 Fordwych Road, London and he was still living there

On the night of the 1901 census Edward is found boarding with the Buchannan family at 34, Mayfield Street, Kingston-upon-Hull; and on the night of the census in 1911 he was at his youngest brother Hamilton’s house (25 Chichele Road, Cricklewood) along with his mother and brother Ernest,  Edward was working as a civil engineer in the central offices of the Chief Engineer’s Department of the London County Council.  Hamilton was a physician surgeon. Their father had died in January 1907.

During the first world war his service saw him as a cadet in the 28th Artists Rifles (London Regiment) and accepting a commission into the 4th Battalion of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment which was gazetted on 19th July 1916. Edward sailed to France as a Second Lieutenant on 2nd October 1916 and served as a machine-gun officer with ‘A Company’ of the LNL until the beginning of January 1917 where he went off sick due to being overworked. The 1/4bn history mentions he was an excellent officer;

On the 6th January 1917 we returned to YPRES, and on the 7th relieved the l/6th King’s Liverpool Regiment in RAILWAY WOOD, where we were badly shelled the following day, six men being wounded. This relief was accomplished without a casualty, although Platoons had some narrow escapes. We were singularly lucky that way; we were always hearing that such and such a Battalion had had a Platoon blown to bits in the Square, but it never happened to us; if an Officer lost men by taking a known dangerous road when a safer was available, it was not counted unto him for righteousness!

On the 8th the enemy shelled us all day, especially BEEK TRENCH and BATTALION HEADQUARTERS, and six men were wounded ; the 9th was quieter — one man wounded. On the 10th, after a quiet morning, our artillery bombarded enemy lines opposite B Company, who had their Company Headquarters blown in in the retaliation which followed – no casualty.

After a quiet day on the 11th, the Battalion was relieved on the 12th, except A Company, by the 1/4th KING’S OWN, A Company being left behind to do a special job — wiring in close support and support lines—the rest going back to YPRES, whence they provided the usual nightly working parties till the 16th, when they were relieved by the 12th ROYAL SUSSEX REGIMENT and marched to P Camp north of POPERINGHE. The next day we marched to ROUSSEL FARM, about a mile east of ELVERDINGHE, the Drums, recently re-formed, playing on the march for the first time. A Company turned up, dead beat, at 5 a.m. Second Lieutenant Faber went sick from sheer overwork; as Lewis gun Officer he had tried to do everything himself and broke down. We were sorry to lose such an excellent Officer.

According to the London County Council war records, it appears Faber was then employed as a Divisional Officer of Northern Command for two more months.


Lieut Faber’s identification tag

Post war, in 1925, he was living with his mother and brother Ernest at 27 Grosvenor Gardens, Willesden; and by 1929 the three had moved to 27 Hoveden Road, Willesden, North London. By 1936 the brothers were still there but their mother had passed by then.

Edward Gray Faber died in Willesden at the beginning of 1944. He was 69 years old.

Paul McCormick
Contact me
Latest posts by Paul McCormick (see all)
(This post has been visited 201 times in the last 90 days)

One Response to Lieutenant Edward Grey Faber

  1. Toni Abram says:

    I am currently researching my great aunt Dorothy’s husband. His name was Henry Grey Faber and you can read about him at
    https://tonilouiseabram.com/2018/12/27/henry-grey-faber/. Select the ‘more photos’ link at the bottom of the page for more bits and bobs. I believe the Edward Grey Faber I refer to was Henry’s cousin. Both were from Stockton on Tees. However, I think my Edward was the son of Charles (a solicitor born in Stockton) and Edith Faber.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.
%d bloggers like this:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.