Looking for soldiers that served prior to WW1? Find My Past is the best resource for finding information about Victorian-era Soldiers.
By far the best resource for WW1 research. WW1 Service Records, pension papers, medal index cards and casualty information.
Search through millions of archived British Newspaper Articles to find any references to your ancestors.

Thomas Howard was born in Harpurhey, Manchester in around 1893.

Thomas Howard, aged 21, enlisted in the Territorial Force on 28th January 1914 in Manchester. He had signed up for a four year engagement. Thomas was embodied into the 1/7th Battalion Manchester Regiment on 5th August 1914 in Manchester. He was given the service number 2032, and later 275237 when the TF were renumbered in 1917.

At his enlistment medical he was described as being 5ft 4in tall with a 33in chest.

Prior to the War, he had been employed as a fitter and was living at 61 Cardiff Street, Harpurhey, Manchester. His lived at home with his father, Abraham who was a tile fiscer for a building and tile merchant. His mother, Mary Jane, his older brother Aaron Arthur, older sister Elsie, and younger brother Herbert.

On 10th September 1914, Thomas embarked from Southampton for Egypt. The following May, he embarked from Alexandria to Gallipoli. Thomas was part of ‘C’ Company.

On 12th July 1915, Thomas was admitted into the 11th Casualty Clearing Station with a shrapnel wound to his head. He was sent back to Egypt to recover, before another period back in Gallipoli from that November till February 1916.

On 2nd March 1917, the Battalion embarked at Alexandria, they landed in Marseilles, France ten days later. The following month he was granted ten days leave to the UK.

At the end of January 1918, Thomas was granted a further 14 days leave to the UK; he was three days late in returning from his leave and was punished by losing 4 days pay and having restrictions for a further 28 days.

On 3rd April 1918, Thomas sustained a gunshot wound to his left forearm, he was out of action for a month before rejoining his unit on 4th May.

On 1st September 1918, whilst the Battalion were in the Somme area, Thomas sustained a gunshot wound to the head, and a gunshot wound to the abdomen. The shot to his stomach had punctured his liver.



Image property of Clydesite


Thomas was sent back to the UK on the hospital ship ‘Guildford Castle’, arriving in the Auxiliary Military Hospital near Brombrough on 17th September. On 6th December, when his wounds had healed (although reportedly still tender) he was transferred to the Southport Convalescent Hospital. He was still here being treated in January 1919 when a medical board was convened.

The medical officer recommended that Thomas was unfit for further military service, his discharge coming through on 24th March 1919. He was now 25 years old.

Thomas was issued Silver War Badge number 450756.

Thomas was awarded a pension 5/6- a week for 26 weeks from March 1919. That September, it was extended for a further 52 weeks. When it was due to expire again, instead of extending it, the medical board agreed he be paid a final gratuity of £105.

For his War service, Thomas received the 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Paul McCormick
Contact me
Latest posts by Paul McCormick (see all)
(This post has been visited 108 times in the last 90 days)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.
%d bloggers like this:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.